Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Day It All Changed

On January 6, 2014, Hubby and I left work early to meet with this miracle woman we were referred to, who is a reproductive endocrinologist.  I remember our visit clearly.  She was warm, friendly and a little bossy.  I informed her I had been struggling with hypothyroidism and that the doctors could not seem to get my levels straight.  She said, "you won't ever see those doctors again, from now on I'm in charge of your thyroid."  I knew I liked her then and there.  This lady knew her stuff.  She was gonna take that bull by the horns and handle it!  I loved her.

Before our consult, we really had no hope left, but for some reason never took the first steps to initiate the adoption process.  We have neighbors who have two adopted children and are heavily involved in their adoption organization. They are wonderful people with a wonderful family.  They speak often about their own personal journey and love to encourage others.  She often dropped pamphlets or newsletters in my mailbox for me to have.  I was always sad when I saw them.  Don't get me wrong, I was grateful to have them, and to have someone who cared enough about me and knows my need and want to be a Mommy.  It would have been a piece of cake to get through all the paperwork involved with their guidance.  But for some reason we never pulled the trigger.  So we decided we would take this opportunity to see this doctor to have her tell us once and for all that we were done; that there was no way we could have a child at this stage in the game. To confirm what we already knew in our hearts.  We told ourselves once we heard this for certain from her, that we would be able to move forward with an open heart.  This was going to be the push we needed to move forward.  We were grateful for the opportunity to see her and get us out of the rut we'd been in.

 So we completed all the questionnaires and talked to her about our history and sat there waiting for her to tell us to throw in the towel.  To our surprise she said that adoption is a wonderful avenue for many people.  Is that what you really want?  Do you want to have a child of your own?  A child that you carry in your body and a pregnancy that you share together?  Of course we said yes, we do, but......

She said "no but's".  This is possible and I am going to help you.  She told us about Donor IVF and the rest is history.  It was a day that changed our life.    

No comments:

Post a Comment