Friday, January 2, 2015

Can I borrow some eggs please?

Donor Eggs.  I'd never heard of it.  I'd heard of donor sperm, but I had no problem getting that. :)  Once the doctor told us about the IVF process using Donor Eggs we went home super excited and told our family all about it.  We were ecstatic about the possibility of getting pregnant and that the dream was not dead.  It's really hard for me to keep things to myself. When I'm happy - I want to share.  When I'm upset - I want to share.  So, note to yourself, if you have a big secret you don't want anyone to know - don't tell me!!!  

Donor Egg IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) is IVF using another woman's eggs.  So basically the donor takes the ovulation stimulating drugs and I take the drugs that prepare my body for implantation of an embryo. I get to carry the baby and experience all the joys (or not) of pregnancy and deliver my own baby.  Sounds so simple!  Of course I had to have my physical and blood work and all that fun stuff to determine what was going on under the hood - but all I wanted to do was check out all the donor websites and find my doppelganger.  This was going to be fun!  Like online dating, but with girls and without the awkwardness.   So I immediately started signing up for the websites and checking out the donors.  I was amazed at how many there were.  You can select filters; for example:  race, height, hair color, eye color, nationality, religion, etc.  I thought I would have no problems finding an incredibly intelligent, six-foot redhead with green eyes and a charming personality.  I was wrong.   I scoured the websites every free chance I got.  I found some really great prospects, all of whom were rejected by my doctor for one reason or another: never donated before, carried the gene for cystic fibrosis, history of mental illness in family, herpes (yes, herpes), etc. There was a long list of no-no's and it seemed as if every girl I picked was on it!  Every time I found a girl who was somewhat close to me physically, there was something wrong and she didn't work out. Not to mention the fact that hubby and I had to agree on the girl.  We went back and forth trying to narrow down the characteristics that were most important to us, which proved to be a difficult task.  To be honest, I didn't care about her medical history or family history or GPA or any of that.  All I wanted was someone who looked like me.  It got to the point that I could not even remember which girls I had looked at and which ones didn't work and why. 

This isn't as easy as we thought.  I was overwhelmed and discouraged.   

No comments:

Post a Comment