Friday, February 13, 2015

From Party Girl to Potty Girl.......

Well, ladies and germs, the time has finally come.  I've gone from drinking for one to eating for three. I would rather take a nap than belly up to a bar for an icy cold beer and a shot of fireball.  My have times changed.

I come from a long line of folks who knew how to have a good time.  It didn't matter if we were all gathered for the birth of a baby or the death of a loved one - the celebration was always the same: good cold libations, homemade food and great music.  All surrounded by lots of laughter and tears. I'm sure there was a smattering of drama thrown in the mix too, but I don't remember that much - and let's face it, who doesn't like a bit of drama from time to time?  I remember good times with my family - grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, neighbors.  The more the merrier.  The party bug started with my grandparents, trickled down to my parents and then my brothers and I.

When Hubby and I finally crossed paths we realized we were two peas-in-a-pod.  We enjoyed each other's company and had many things in common, especially a taste for the finer things in life - like icy cold beers and bar food  :)  I was easy - err - I was an easy girl to please.  We were the perfect match.  We looked forward to a good party every weekend and we've thrown more than a few ourselves.  

My girlfriends all share my love of a good time too.  There was nothing better than meeting up after a long, stressful day at work for "one" drink; and then ending up closing down the bar.  What I once thought was the ultimate way to blow off steam.  
 
Needless to say, at 14 plus weeks pregnant, I've traded my bar stool for a potty.  My "closing down the bar" days are over and I'm having to learn how to "blow off steam" in other ways.  They tell me how important it is that I stay stress free.  (ha ha ha, audible laugh).   I must have been hungover the day we learned how to manage stress in ways that don't involve booze and cigarettes.  But I've turned the page and I'm learning new techniques - they are just not nearly as fun.  :)

In fact, I went to "the bar" last night, for the first time in months, for a friend's 40th birthday.  I have to admit I was feeling quite smug this morning reading all the posts about how miserable everyone was feeling today.  Not drinking has its perks - unlike my amigas, I feel great!

I'm looking forward to my first post-pregnancy frosty mug of ice cold beer, and our first party showing off our newest prides and joy.  I look forward to continuing the tradition and filling our home with family and friends, good cold libations, homemade food, good music, laughter and tears. Its what I remember and what I want my kids to know.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying all the perks of pregnancy, trying to eat well and staying healthy. Reveling in the excitement of all the wonderful things to come.  

Cheers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment