Thursday, February 5, 2015

The First Trimester is in the Rear View Mirror!

It's hard to believe we are at 13 weeks already!  The first trimester was eventful, to say the least, but we made it through.  I've never been this far along before - and it feels really good. I'm feeling better and starting to get some energy back.  Our little bambinos are measuring just over 3 inches each and continue to have very strong heartbeats.  I still can't believe there are two in there!  


They are facing each other with their heads touching.  They move around and change positions quite a bit, although I am not able to feel them moving yet.  

I had my NT (Nuchal Translucency) Ultrasound yesterday afternoon.  This is one of the routine genetic tests they run to rule out Downs Syndrome and some other chromosomal abnormalities, as well as congenital heart problems.  They are looking at the measurements of the baby's neck.  Babies with abnormalities tend to accumulate more fluid at the back of the neck during the first trimester, causing it to be larger than average. They combine the results of the genetic blood test with the ultrasound and tell you what your risk percentage is for each disorder.  In my case, they gave me two sets of results: one set for me, based on my age; and one for the donor, who is in her early 20's.  They told me not to be alarmed if my numbers came back positive, as is typical for a woman of my "advanced" age.  ;)  I thought 40's were supposed to be the new 20's!   The results were great.  We have a very low risk.  I was not worried, but it's nice to be reassured. 

Doctor X (my reproductive endocrinologist) has officially weaned me off all the meds - which means no more shots.  My derriere is extremely grateful.  I'll have a few more blood tests with Doctor X to make sure my hormone levels are good and stable, and then I'll sadly graduate from her care.  Once you've made it through your first trimester their job is done.  They got us pregnant and got us through the most difficult trimester.  Now it's time to pass the baton.

I had my first appointment with my new OB about three weeks ago. They recommended that we overlap the two doctors just so they can communicate about my care and that it gives us a chance to determine if we are comfortable with her.  She came highly recommended, but I'm not sure how I feel about her.  She was nice enough I suppose, but I know I'm not going to get the attentive, proactive, detailed care that I'm getting from Dr. X and her staff.  I have the utmost trust in them and I'm apprehensive to walk away from that.  I don't really have a choice in the matter, it is what it is.  I'm sure the new OB will be just fine.  The jury is still out.  Fingers crossed.

We made the decision to deliver at St. Jude and we go for our tour of the maternity ward on Saturday.   So many exciting things coming up.  We find out the sex of the babies on March 11, 2015.  The suspense is killing me!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment