Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Pregnancy Test

Finally, it's test day!  It was Sunday, December 7, 2014.  We had an appointment at 9:45 a.m.  All they had to do was draw my blood and send it to the lab.  We should know in a few hours.  The anxiety was palpable.

We showed up for our appointment and waited for them to call us back.  We heard my name come from down the hallway.  Here we go.  As the nurse prepped me to draw blood the doctor passed by and asked how I was doing.  Regrettably, I was a little short with her, "anxious" is all I could muster.  She laughed.  We asked her how long before we would get a phone call.  She replied that she probably would not get the results back from the lab until after 4:00 p.m.

4:00 p.m.??????  What the what?  You mean we have to wait ALL DAY for the results?  It was Sunday.  On a normal weekday it would have been a few hours, but Sundays are the Lord's Day and the lab was going to take their sweet ass time!  She said we may not hear from her until after 6:00 p.m.  Our family has been a part of this process every step of the way - nothing was sacred-so we were hoping they would tell us exactly when they were going to call so we could have everyone together when the doctor called with the results.  If it was positive it would have been great fun for all of us.  If it was negative, we would have moral support. Unfortunately, that idea just flew out the window.  It just was not going to work.  Ugh.

We are Christmas people.  We love everything Christmas - decorating, shopping, baking, wrapping, Christmas lights, music.  We decided to hit up the mall to fill up our day with some lunch and shopping.  The perfect way to keep our minds occupied.  We only managed a couple hours before heading home.  I went for a pedicure to try and relax a little.  I made sure to be home before 4 p.m.  I did not want to miss that call.  We waited for what seemed like an eternity.  All the while fielding calls and texts from anxious family and friends wanting to know.

A little after 6 p.m. the phone rang.  Our eyes grew three sizes as we looked at each other.  We both sat straight up and prepared ourselves to answer the phone. The first words we heard after we said hello were, "Congratulations!"  I am 45 years old.  No sweeter words have ever passed through my ears.  We both started crying and I told the doctor I was sorry because I had been cussing her all day!  Our first beta was 675.  Oh my gawd.  It worked!  We are pregnant.  After we hung up with the doctor we just sat there, hugging and crying - in disbelief.  It actually worked.  We are going to be parents.  Who do we call first?  So, of course, we called Reese to let her know she was going to be a big sister - at 20.  That was a hard call for me.  I wish she was not so far away at school - she should have been home with us on such a great day.  We missed her more than ever that night.  Next was the parents and the siblings.  Everyone was waiting with bated breath.  My Mom could not wait to hang up with us and starting calling everyone.  The phone calls and texts went on all through the night.  Everyone we knew was elated.  We felt very special and very grateful.  God is good.  It was our Christmas miracle.  This is going to be the best Christmas ever!

I had to return to the doctor in 2 days for another test.  The HcG levels should double every 48 hours.

I slept like a rock that night.    

No comments:

Post a Comment